Sunday, November 29, 2015

CREATURES OF HABIT

To my amazing clients, 

I hope that everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving. I enjoyed spending my morning killing my legs at the gym and my afternoon eating with my family. A very good day if you ask me. My challenge for you the next 3.5 weeks is to be consistent in our gym/exercise and food habits. 
WARNING- I might get a little cliche happy the next few paragraphs. Just bare with me. 
Definition of Habit is an acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary. We all have our habits... Good and bad. I believe that we are where we are at today because of the small every day choices that we have made. If we are overweight and unhappy with our body composition that didn't happen overnight. Its years of unhealthy choices. So that being said we will not achieve our goal overnight. We are now the sum of our parts. So every choice we make NOW is going to take us closer to our goals or farther from them. 
Unknown philosopher
SOW A THOUGHT AND YOU REAP AN ACT;
SOW AN ACT AND YOU REAP A HABIT;
SOW A HABIT AND YOU REAP A CHARACTER;
SOW A CHARACTER AND YOU REAP A DESTINY;

Everything we do matters. So lets do some math. BUT BRIAN, I hate Math! Ha So do I. There are 168 hours in a week. Lets say we are lucky and get 8 hours of sleep a night. 168-56=112. We are really working hard and putting in 1 hour of exercise a day. 112-7=105 We now have 105 hours to screw everything up by our everyday habits and choices. We automatically get that soda with lunch or watch 2 hours of TV after dinner. We order dessert because we've always ordered dessert. We grab a small handful of M&M's daily from the candy jar at work. Those small daily choices add up. 
We have to replace our bad habits with good habits. I've replaced my destructive behavior with EXERCISE. How do we stop doing what we have always done? We PLAN. Cliche alert: If we fail to plan we plan to fail. 
Food prep today for the rest of the week. If we have our lunch made up and brought to work we can turn down that pizza in the break room or that quick trip to the hamburger stand. If we take the elevator every day start taking the stairs. Have your exercise and gym clothes ready. If its the morning jog we plan on doing to start our day. Have them next to your bed on top of your sneakers. Roll out of bed get dressed and be on the road running or on the way to the gym before you can talk your self out of it. Make a commitment to read an hour on fitness and healthy living instead of watching T.V. a couple of nights out of the week. Eat at home more eat out less. No matter how much we exercise we can't not undo unhealthy food and drink choices. An hour of intense cardio might burn 500 Calories. We can consume over 1,000 calories in a fast food meal. MAKE YOUR DAY full of good small choices that over time become habits. 
 I challenge you all to go over your week ahead of time. Point out habits that could be holding you back and think of alternative choices. Be active and healthy this week. IF you have any questions or need anything at all. Text, call or email me. See you in the gym,  Love you all. BRIAN 

No comments:

Post a Comment