Sunday, November 22, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

To my amazing clients,

First, I want to tell you how proud I am of every single one of you. While the majority of my clients do a great job coming into the gym on their own, I've seen even more of you in here this week! I absolutely love seeing you all in the gym working hard day in and out with or without me. I'm extremely thankful for every single one of you. You make my job so enjoyable and easy. Thank You.
So the holiday season is upon us. Unfortunately, that sometimes brings upon a ton of stress and with that comes emotional eating. Overeating is prevalent through this time of year. While we hear frequently that the average American gains 5to10 pounds during the holiday season. Research shows that it is usually around 1-2 pounds. But they have also been shown to keep this 1 to 2 pounds on throughout the next year. The average Thanksgiving dinner is around 4,500 calories per person. Remember 3,500 calories make up 1 pound. Today's blog is just some suggestions on handling the next couple of weeks.
Clients: Brian, do you even eat bad on Thanksgiving?? Answer is Yes. I believe that we should enjoy ourselves on that day. I believe the trick is moderation and staying active. Well, who am I kidding I totally overeat during that meal. So... Brian what do we do? During the next few months it is vitally important to keep exercise as a huge priority.
 DON'T SACRIFICE EXERCISE TIME
Do not let the extra events of the holiday season effect your exercise time. This time is for you and you alone. Take care of yourself first and then you will have more to give to the ones that you love. LOOK FOR THE BEST CHOICE IN EVERY SITUATION
Your gift to yourself this Holiday season is being healthy. We have already established that we will indulge some. Just keep it to small portions. Eat veggies and fruits first. Let them fill your tummy before the more high calorie foods. Keep a positive attitude. So what we over ate last night. We will just refuse to let it effect our next days choices. Stay away from discouraging or negative thoughts that will lead us to even more unhealthy choices.
ENJOY YOUR FOOD AND COMPANY
Taste your food and take your time eating it. We've all been there where we shovel a whole plate of food down in 5 min and are already heading for seconds. SLOW DOWN! Keep conversation during your meal. Eat slowly. Give your stomach time to send the signals up to your brain that you are full. The bottom line is it is Calories in vs. Calories out. While I believe what we eat it vital to health. If we eat more calories then we burn then we WILL GAIN FAT.
SANDWICH YOUR HOLIDAY MEALS
But Brian I thought you don't like us eating bread? Ha... What I mean is sandwich your meals with physical activity. Do something active in the morning. Go for a hike or a walk. Ride your bike or take a jog. Lift! I know LA is open that morning. Play football with family or friends. I plan on riding my bike Thanksgiving morning.
After your meal... NAP TIME says my clients. NO I say. Take an after dinner walk or something that involves movement. That will help digest the food. Then relax and enjoy your nap or football.

Last but not least. Try to enjoy every moment. Enjoy the family and friends. Do not let the stress of this time of year take over and drive you to unhealthy behaviors. Their is science behind being mindful of the moments we are in and equanimity. Love those around you and don't fret over the small things.  Less stressed we are, the lower the Cortisol levels are the less we have a tendency to hold on to fat. High Cortisol levels will suppress our immune system and slow down our metabolism.  Stay positive no matter what.
I will be sending this via email to most of you. Remember is trainerbrian.blogspot.com IF you find these post helpful I encourage you to share these with friends. STAY MOTIVATED!! We refuse to sabotage our hard work during this time of year. Stay active and healthy!  Love you all and I hope you have an amazing Thanksgiving week. See you in the gym. Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment